- County-wide discount prescription drug plan at no cost to the county or to users
of the discount card. Please click on the above link for more
information about the card, distribution centers and participating
- Door-to-door and fixed route bus service is available within Carbon County between
all of the boroughs and to several points outside of the County including
the Mall in Whitehall, Lehigh County.
- The County, under the direction of the Area Office on aging offers
the services of five senior center within the County.
These provide a daily hot lunch, libraries, computer and e-mail services,
and various other activities.
- Mauch chunk lake park is a recreational facility,
providing boating, fishing, swimming, and camping for both residents
and non-residents of carbon County. During winter months, cross country
skiing is available. Picnic pavilions
are also available for renting for private functions. Various fees are
charged for some activities.
- An emergency management facility is maintained and
provides training exercises and updates for local municipalities. A
911 facility is provided by the County. Approximately 148,000 calls
are made each year to the 911 center.
- In downtown Jim Thorpe, a park is available with
seating for relaxation.
- From various County offices, a passport along with
required photos Can be processed.
- Various licenses, such as Hunting, dog, and fishing
can be purchased from various locations throughout the County, coordinated
by the treasurer’s office.
- The County archives department offers an opportunity
to provide a genealogy check on residents’ ancestors.
- Child care services are provided to qualifying parents
by the County.
- A County railroad commission oversees a shortline
railroad, the C&S RR, within the County which services local industries.